Gentrification In Harlem

Annotated Bibilography

Bibliography

Bernt, Matthias. “The ‘Double Movements’ of Neighbourhood Change: Gentrification and Public Policy in Harlem and Prenzlauer Berg.” Urban Studies, vol. 49, no. 14, 2012, pp. 3045–3062. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/26144129. Accessed 12 Nov. 2020.

This source talks about the gentrification of both Berlin and New York City and compares both. It shows that even though some people do agree with the gentrification and helps in a political way,there is still a negative side to it. It explains how there are both positive and negative things that come from it .

This source is useful because it compares Harlem with Berlin. Even though our topic is more on the gentrification of Harlem and not on Berlin, I can use it as a comparison as what is happening in parts of the world and how others go through the same as how the people of Harlem are going through. It can also give a different perspective that I can use to explain further the situation of Harlem.

FEARNLEY, ANDREW M., and DANIEL MATLIN, editors. Race Capital?: Harlem as Setting and Symbol. Columbia University Press, 2019. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/10.7312/fear18322. Accessed 12 Nov. 2020.

This source talks about Harlem overall. It shows the way that everyone sees or and the way that they think of Harlem. It explains how the history impacted what everyone believes Harlem to be and includes how the change since the start.

This source is useful because it shows what people already know and think of Harlem. It can be useful for my introduction and my conclusion. In addition could be useful for adding a few other facts about why the gentrification was such a big change and what parts of it changed. Furthermore, it can help me explain beter of what Harlem is to my audience.

GOLDSTEIN, BRIAN D. The Roots of Urban Renaissance: Gentrification and the Struggle over Harlem. Harvard University Press, 2017. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctv18gfzfg. Accessed 11 Nov. 2020.

This source talks about how the gentrification started. It shows how the people reacted towards first knowing about the change that was going to happen. It explains about the housing problems, problems between the different races and the difference in the new constructions. 

This source is useful because it can show the reaction of the news of the gentrification. It can also give me more information on the change. In addition it can help me explain more about how everything started and why everything came to be. Furthermore, it can help me figure out why the people already living in Harlem were mad about the change and the new people coming to live in it.

Meltzer, Rachel. “Gentrification and Small Business: Threat or Opportunity?” Cityscape, vol. 18, no. 3, 2016, pp. 57–86. JSTOR, www.jstor.org/stable/26328273. Accessed 12 Nov. 2020.

This source talks more toward the small business in Harlem. It shows how whenever there is some type chance the small business always gets affected in one way or another. It explains how small businesses get positives and negatives from the gentrification.

This source is helpful because it gives me more to write about. Not only can I write about the opinion of the change of everyone, but also about the fact that workers get affected along with the people. In addition, it also helps that I can get away from the gentrification and have both good and bad things. That way I can be biased and not have one opinion on it.