Gentrification In Harlem

Summary and Response Essay

The chosen text’s medium is a youtube video which is called “Baldwin on Dick Cavett”. This youtube video shows James Baldwin on a TV show “The Dick Cavett Show” with host Dick Cavett. In the video they bring another guest which is Professor Paul Weiss, which either agrees or disagrees with what Baldwin stated with his opinions and beliefs, specifically race and religion. The tone that Baldwin gives is informative. The audience would be everyone that wants to know more about this topic and show awareness.The purpose of the video was to make people understand the difference between reality and what others believe. The genre is a talk show. The stance is that Baldwin shows passion towards talking about how it’s hard for black people to be in America without being judged or criticized because of their race. For the language, the readers would be anyone trying to see racial criticism based on a african american living in America’s perspective. The constraint could be the professor that was in the show with him and people that think like him that sees what Baldwin is saying in a different perspective in a way that he is blaming Baldwin for thinking that things are a specific way. Baldwin’s exigence could be not only every black american but everyone seen below white people. In addition to his kids and their future living in america.

I would say that I agree with everything that James Baldwin said because he gives pieces of advice on writing that can help anyone and everyone. When Baldwin says “it’s very hard to be a typewriter and concentrate on that when you’re afraid of the world around you” he shows the reality for many people or races. To respond to this quote’s subject matter I would say that I can relate to what he is saying in the way that I myself am afraid of the world around me. Everyday things are changing and sometimes to the worst. Now a days, theres all sorts of discrimination and violence growing and growing. It’s hard to say your opinion on something because you never know when someone can come at you and insult you for your opinion. People have killed others just because their opinion on something is different, they don’t realize that disagreeing on a topic is normal. Another thing that Baldwin says is “I  don’t know in the board of education hates black people but i know the textbooks I give my children to read and the schools that they have to go to, now this is the evidence, you want me to make an act of faith risking myself, my wife, my women, my sister, my children, on some idealism that you assure me exist in America, which I have never seen” he shows that we are used to having to trust people who we don’t know how they are or how they see certain type of people. To respond to this quote’s subject matter I would say that I can indeed also relate to what he is saying in the way that, taking his example of school we are taught to trust the board of education without knowing the people in it. The board of education is obviously filled with so many people that work together to make things all work, but nowadays people can be really sneaky and hide who and what their true intentions are. Everyone that goes to school has to always give personal information that the school keeps and the board of education has. No one knows if a certain person in the board of education disagrees with a specific race and makes their life difficult to obtain things or help them. No one knows if the board of education favors a specific race or specific people. All everyone has to do is trust that people’s information doesn’t go into the wrong hands that could basically change and destroy their lives.

For my creative project, I decided for the medium to be a drawing that goes along with what I believe Baldwin’s point was in what he said..The purpose of the drawing is to show the hypocrisy in people when saying that America is a place where it’s safe and there’s no judgment. It shows uncle Sam guiding a woman with her child going in through the “gate of freedom” without knowing that behind the door there are a bunch of horrible things coming her way along with other recent things happening.  The tone would be informative. The genre of this project, I believe, is figure drawing or some type of political cartoon. The audience is for everyone to be aware of what it is to be from a different race living in america where white are more above everyone. The stance is to show how people trust that America will be a safe environment for them but it ends up not being that way. The language would be mostly to readers that are trying to understand what Baldwin was saying in the quotes used above by picturing it in a way that they can understand. Constraints are the people who would disagree with my drawing or see the drawing in a different perspective that makes them disagree with what Baldwin was saying. The exigence is that it’s been so long ago that people that are considered less than whites have been fighting for their lives to be equal and still today they are not. This is a wake up call that America isn’t what everyone says it is.