Gentrification In Harlem

Week 7: Is Gentrification a Dirty Word?

1.I believe that gentrification means the change happening in different parts of the city in which low class communities and changes for high class communities.

2. In the article “The Blind Man and the Elephant”, Chris Hamnet discusses what gentrification is and what it’s causing. Specifically, Hamnett argues that he disagrees with  gentrification and everything that comes with it. As the author himself put it,”Gentrification is one of the main arenas of conflict between the proponents of culture, preference and human agency”. Although some people believe that it brings more positivity theme negativity. Smith insists that it’s good for housing, land, products etc. In sum, then, his view is that gentrification has more negatives than positives.

I would say that I have mixed thoughts.  In my view, gentrification can produce both positives and negatives for the communities. For instance, we see that due to gentrification,the past history of the communities come to an end. In addition, it leads to an increase of housing and decrease of job payment. Some might object, of course, on the grounds that it gets the community more modern things and more of a modern environment. Yet I would argue that it doesn’t matter what the community looks like as long as people are safe and are treated with fairness.  Overall, then, I believe gentrification is an important point to make given that there are many different perspectives on it.